Monday, May 18, 2009

Welcome

Being my first post I’m not exactly sure what to write. I have lots of topics in mind for future posts, but as for this one, I’m not really sure.

Future entries will include topics I have talked about in previous emails to friends – that’s the easiest way to get started I suppose. I will also include excerpts from travel logs I have written. However, I do not expect this blog will just be a repository for old ideas and tales of adventure or mis-adventure; I hope it will be a vehicle to explore new topics, thoughts or just expound on previously untold stories.

For the readers that don’t know me, just let me say quickly that I have passed that place called “middle age” and am currently marking time in the empty space that exists before the cusp of “old age” (I am not there yet, I am NOT!). My beard may be much more salt than pepper but my head is still covered with the darker hair of my youth, although it now has a “softer” appearance. The harsh darkness of my twenty something hair has given way to the softer look of understanding and acceptance by showing an occasional gray strand. That is significant to me. I look in the mirror and see the face of one who has been around the block with stories to tell and experiences to relate, but above my face I see the hair of a younger man and like to think that my thoughts are those of that younger man. Once I start thinking “old” I’m done!

I consider myself to be an under achiever. I am very proud of the things I’ve done and embarrassed by some of the things I haven’t done. Sometimes I wonder if my life would have been more exciting had it been the other way around.

I am a compilation of those important in my life. I have borrowed this and that from him or her and they have become the rich patina of my personality. It could be a certain mannerism or a little phrase, but whatever it is, it is borrowed out of respect for its originator.

I look forward to any response to this blog. Whether it be in support or disagreement, I welcome hearing from you.

Thanks for reading me,

Don

5 comments:

  1. just a few notes from a friend:
    “Honour or Honor (see spelling differences), (from the Latin word honos, honoris) is the evaluation of a person's trustworthiness and social status based on that individual's espousals and actions.” “Most words ending in unstressed -our in the United Kingdom (e.g., colour, flavour, honour, armour, rumour) end in -or in the United States (i.e., color, flavor, honor, armor, rumor).” Ok so we are not in the UK, however, it is fun to be regal sounding at an important affair and in doing so borrowing from the Brits is acceptable.

    As for the brides side and grooms side. Here are lots of rules....but none for non-denominational weddings.....
    Christian wedding
    1. Learn that the bride and groom's parents sit according to whether they are parents of the bride or groom.
    2. Seat the parents of the bride on the left side, in the front pew of the church. The groom's family will then sit on the right side, also near the aisle.
    3. Continue seating with the immediate family in the next few pews, on their appropriate side depending on the relationship to the Groom or bride. This will include grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, and cousins.
    4. Understand that friends will sit at the back, behind all family members.
    5. Seating for friends is not designated, the only requirement being that they sit on the side of if they are friends of either the bride or groom. When they are friends of both the groom and bride they can sit on either side.
    Jewish Wedding
    1. Learn that in a Synagogue this seating arrangement is reversed, with the bride's guests sitting on the right (the side that the bride stands on as she faces the rabbi).
    2. All parents remain standing under the Chuppah throughout the wedding ceremony. The Chuppah {Huppah} is an ornamented canopy adorned with fresh flowers, tassels or embroidery.
    3. Orthodox Jewish Wedding
    • Men and women sit separately, each on one side of the aisle. There is no designated side, follow the leads of the family members.
    Traditional Hindu Wedding
    1. Hindu weddings usually take place outside, on the earth, under a canopy known as a mandap.
    2. Guests will sit under the mandap on the ground or on chair.
    3. Notice that under the mandap there is a sacred fire, that can be small and confined to a brazier or dish to be safe.
    Traditional Chinese Wedding
    1. Prior to the wedding itself, there are very many traditional rituals performed by the bride and the families of both the bride and groom.[4]
    2. Know that once the rituals were finished, the wedding is usually held in a church.
    3. Realize at that time,there is no set seating plans concerning seating the parents or other family members or friends. Everyone just finds their own seats and the processional begins.[5]
    Same-sex wedding
    1. Understand that in same-sex weddings, the families of one groom or bride will sit on one side, and the other groom or bride on the other. Ushers will be able to direct you appropriately.
    2. Know that the seating closest to the front is reserved for the closest family members.
    3. Learn that it is customary to applaud after the minister or officiate pronounces the couple 'spouses for life.'

    My guess is that at a huminist wedding one can sit anywhere one feels like placing ones posterior. (if so inclined)

    Then there is the little matter of the gift....



    It is advised to never take a gift to the reception because there is no way that you can know that the wedding couple will ever see the gift. Send the gift to the home of the bride, the return address on invitations, or the shipping address on the registry.

    Did you take care of this minor little detail??

    I understand that you enjoy the pomp of the traditional wedding...However, if the couple is having a good time...and they mean what they say...well I say...what the heck.....eat drink and be merry....or in this case....married!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous - Thank you for your gracious, if not excessive, input. Please note that a least once, your information refers to the ushers "seating the guests". Why wasn't that done in this case?

    Yes the gift has now been taken care thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your posts are very well written. You can tell they are very well thought out. I would however like to hear more about your wonderful children and how much easier they must make your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to know who the 1st "Anonymous post" was...because I know who the 2nd one was. Although I must agree with the 2nd post I think the 1st one has too much time on their hands...Keep writing, funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know who the first "Anonymous" is and she enjoys taking time out of her busy schedule as part time taxi driver the needle me when ever she can. It's all in jest, so you can relax.

    I just wish all you anonymi would take time to sign in, it would be less confusing that way.

    ReplyDelete